About the NMSU Learning Games Lab
The NMSU Learning Games Lab is an exploratory environment where gamers play and evaluate games - all kinds of games, including those designed strictly as entertainment, educational titles, and games in development. The lab includes:
- Research space for assessing, evaluating and understanding game play mechanics and the educational potential, as well as characteristics of a wide variety of game players.
- Focus group opportunities for evaluating newly designed games, interfaces and prototypes, such as those developed by NMSU Media Productions.
- A dynamic library of games and game styles assisting student games consultants and game designers in evaluating trends and understanding new formats.
- Development environment for students to learn through programming and design of games, exposure to potential careers, and the math, science and art of game design.
Learning Games Lab research and youth development programs are part of NMSU's Cooperative Extension Service in partnership with several national organizations. Faculty and graduate researchers at NMSU and other institutions are encouraged to partner with lab faculty for research, partnerships in game development, and educational learning game assessment.
In the news
- NMSU Games Lab's latest app strikes gold (Las Cruces Sun-News, July 24, 2016)
- Research shows NMSU's Math Snacks games improve student learning (KRWG TV, June 23, 2016)
- Jon Boren: Extension Service offers STEM, health education opportunities to youth (Las Cruces Sun-News, Feb 10, 2014)
- NMSU promotes STEM-learning through Learning Games Lab 'think tanks' (Las Cruces Sun-News, June 22, 2013)
- NMSU Learning Games Lab offers free apps (NMSU News, December 21, 2012)
- NMSU Learning Games Lab (NMSU News video, September 5, 2013)
- NMSU Games Lab Director Offers Holiday Game-Buying Tips (PDF) (Las Cruces Sun-News, November 25, 2009)
- Video Games Get Kids Off Sofa (PDF) (Las Cruces Sun-News, April 14, 2008)
- The Game Master (PDF) (NMSU Research and Resources magazine, April 2006)
- Grading Games: NMSU lab utilizes youth to test video game products (Las Cruces Sun-News, July 14, 2006)
Directions to the Learning Games Lab: View map